Saturday, July 15, 2023

Another warning sign Hopefully not to be ignored

I've been on holiday this week & it's not been a good one. The first few days G was on a binge. Tuesday night he shouted at me for an hour after I asked him not to overact & ignore our dog because he followed me around instead of him. It's really nothing that causes him to get angry when he's been
drinking & then a little later he stood up & fell over (often first symptom of pancreatitis) then he was sick quickly followed by him losing feeling & control over his left arm (it looked dead) & then his left leg. He could not move them at all, not even his fingers or his toes. We called an ambulance just after 8.

A community responder came at 9. About 10 feeling came back. He called base & a medical practitioner felt even though feelings come back G could still not walk & put weight on his left leg so they would still need to send an ambulance. The community responder left at 11. I was amazed to  hear he was a volunteer. What a star. The ambulance arrived at 1230 ish & took him to hospital at 130. At 450 G rang me to say they had discharged him. He told me he had a C T scan & it was clear. 

I picked him up & we got back & he carried on drinking. Although he did not drink too much he was topping up & still seemed very drunk &  in the afternoon he lost feeling & use of his left arm and leg again. He was on the phone to the doctors at the time,  & they said to call 999  right away. Another ambulance came & they took him straight into the back of the ambulance. In 20 minutes he had a massive row with the paramedic who said he was lying about being discharged. G said he was confrontational & argumentative & he was not going to go in the ambulance with him. I must admit when he first came in he stopped me  right away when I tried to say something, & in retrospect I did feel in the few moments I was in his company,  he may have been a bit of a control freak. I don't think G was wrong about him. 

G fell out of the ambulance as did not have feeling in his left leg & they did not try to help him up: I did. He came back in. I was ready to drive him to hospital myself but he started getting feeling back & was adamant he did not want to go to hospital. Still fairly drunk he wanted me to drive to get him more cider. I said no I would go & get some after he had a sleep. He went to put his shoes  on to walk to the shop & I broke down & pleaded with him in tears to go to bed & I would go & get supplies after he woke up. I was an emotional mess & he did as I asked & went upstairs to bed. Phew.

He should have gone to hospital. He should not have been discharged Wednesday early hours (I am still not sure if he was).

Thursday he took it slower on the ciders. He did not get pissed but still had 9 ciders. Friday he's really ill with typical symptoms of pancreatitis: stomach pains feeling sick. Today he had had a bad night & in the day could not eat much,  & could not move much. He took painkillers due to stomach pains which only eased them a little bit. He only drank 5 ciders today & 2 of those  he drank in the daytime  to just stop the shakes. He has been very poorly all day.

This happens regularly: serious  illness  when he has pains & just needs to stay still,  but it seems he has still taken more notice of this,  than what he experienced in the week  which I feel was a bigger warning sign. The hospital reckoned it was a TIA & it looks like it happened again the next day. 

He will now take it really easy for a week or 2 because of how ill he felt yesterday & today & maybe not so much because of what happened Tuesday & Wednesday, which I feel was a lot scarier & a bigger warning sign. I'm always hopeful that after starting to be careful it will continue but in my experience as he starts to feel better the alcohol intake increases and then he binges again. I really hope I can report back on here that he doesn't slip back this time but I'm not confident.

No comments: