Friday, November 17, 2006

A good tip for getting to sleep

I did a most unusual thing wednesday night. I decided to make time to read a book (not that thats unusual). I do read a lot of books, but with the work involved on this course, I haven't had time to. I've kept up with newsapapers, read other people's stories, and read coursebooks, including Wuthering Heights. I have missed picking up a book to read last thing at night.
What was unusual about last night, was I picked up a new book at 7.00 and was asleep by 8.00. I slept right through till my alarm went off in the morning. It wasn't that it was a boring book, it was Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, which I got into right away. I had read some of it in one of my classes, and as I had brought it in the summer, I knew it was the next book I would read. We were being introduced to characters, and you felt like you really got the essence of what they were about.
I was enjoying it, but I still fell asleep. I suppose tiredness catches up sometimes. Your body tells you when you need to shut down. Sometimes, reading a few chapters of a book does help me sleep, but normally I find they keep me awake. I can be really tired, get a book out, and it wakes me up. I get to the end of each chapter, then just have to read on to see what happens next. I am a very fussy reader, if a book doesn't grab me in that way I give up on it, after giving it few chapters chance. There are enough good books around not to have to read on if a book doesn't do it for you.
Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to read Catcher in the Rye, without falling asleep next time.

No comments: