Friday, October 12, 2007

Jack of all trades Master of none

Why do people say they are a jack of all trades and master of none as if it’s a negative quality? Being a jack of all trades, and not being particularly brilliant at any one thing, has a very negative press in today’s meritocratic competitive society, which demands we are the best at what we do, and doesn’t allow for second best.

However what being a jack of all trades means for me is that I’m interested in so many things. So I’m not going to be the best at anything, but I will enjoy everything I put my mind to. It’s not negative!

I sing at the open mic, I have a good voice and don’t sing out of tune, but I’m never going to make a living out of singing, I just enjoy it. I can also turn my hand to crafts and sewing, when my children were little I made their clothes. Recently I was passed a bag of corduroy trousers (in too big a size to wear) but I couldn’t throw them away, and ended up making a patchwork bag with them. I make my beady models, which I can never make a living out of, because they take so many hours to make but being creative with beads feeds my soul. I am a jack of all trades but a master of none and I’m proud of that.

No comments: