Thursday, August 02, 2007

The power of crystals.

About two months ago I was feeling pretty low and I decided a bit of retail therapy was in order. When I was younger I had a couple of necklaces (one after the other) I would wear all the time, and I had in mind I wanted one again, one I could wear 24/7, and I wanted a crystal.

I was drawn to, and picked out a rainbow obsidian. After I had brought it I realised it was rainbow obsidian Ian had given me a year ago. A year ago when I was given it, I felt I couldn’t wear it; it was not right for me at the time. So I looked it up in ‘The crystal bible’ by Judy Hall (an inexpensive book for anyone interested in crystals).

Judy says obsidian:

“works extremely fast and with great power. Its truth-enhancing, reflective qualities are merciless in exposing flaws, weaknesses and blockages. Nothing can be hidden from obsidian…………….Obsidian impels us to grow and lends solid support while we do so.”

She suggests it is best used by qualified therapists as it can bring negative emotions to the surface, which needs to be dealt with. However it is also a very spiritually protective stone. Many people find its powerful effects overpowering and prefer a gentler stone. Reading the information on obsidian I felt I was ready for it at the time when I was drawn to it, but not a year earlier.

I wore it for a couple of months and I think it did bring a lot to light, which I dealt with. However I think wearing it for so long it ended up bringing me down and for the past few weeks I’ve been dealing with really horrible lows. At Maker at the weekend I got an amethyst pendant and on Saturday morning I put it on.

Yesterday (Wednesday) I read up on amethyst in Judy’s bible. Reflecting on changes in me since Saturday I was surprised to hear what the book said. I knew it was a good all-rounder, but what was said seems to suggest it is really the right crystal for me at the moment.

Amethyst is a natural tranquillizer, blocking stress. It has strong healing and cleansing powers and enhances spiritual awareness. It’s traditionally worn to prevent drunkenness, and has a:

“sobering effect on overindulgence”

On Saturday night I went out for a bit and had a good time but I wasn’t bothered about drinking, and I had two gin and tonics all evening.

Amethyst is also beneficial to the mind, as it can be calming or stimulating as required. It can bring restful sleep for people who suffer insomnia because of an overactive mind.

“Amethyst balances out highs and lows, promoting emotional centering, it dispels anger, rage, fear and anxiety……………Amethyst can stabilize psychiatric disorders but should not be used in cases of paranoia or schizophrenia.”

Since Saturday I have been feeling more positive. For the past few weeks the extra weight on my body has been really affecting me and bringing me down, and since the weekend I’ve been happier with my body. I’ve been focused and been able to get on with writing and keeping the house tidy. And (this is the biggy), I haven’t been anxious and fearful when I wake up.

Physically amethyst boosts production of hormones, and can boost the metabolism. It’s also cleanses the blood, and can be useful for healing dis-eases of the respiratory tract, and digestive system.

I will have to wait and see if any of the physical benefits come to fruition.

I do suffer from depression, however I am essentially a positive person, my outgoing persona was always happy Jacqui and although now sometimes I can’t hide how I feel, most of the time I can keep that persona up. I’ve always had a critical mind, I’ve always questioned everything, but I have reached a stage where I feel I need to accept some things I can’t explain. If I find something that works for me, I will believe in it. The belief in the crystal I’ve picked, is working for me at the moment, and I don’t want to shut my mind down to any spiritual influence in my life.

No comments: