Wednesday, April 08, 2009

The things I do before a full moon

When a full moon is coming up I do things like:


  • Become ultra sensitive, completely emotional, and obsessive. In the days coming up to a full moon I can obsess, count and have to account for every single pair of my socks for example.
  • Panic and run out of the swimming pool dripping wet, still in my costume and hat, to make an ‘URGENT’ phone call to my daughter about a missed dentist appointment.
  • Spend the next half an hour crying uncontrollably and thinking I’ll never be able to go to the swimming pool again.
  • Sit on a bench two metres away from a sheer drop and hold on to the bench for safety.
  • And in complete contrast have a sudden urge to run forward two metres (almost as if I can feel the pull of the moon).
  • Find the beginning of the film ‘The boat that rocked’ emotionally overwhelming, and the tears flow within the first minute. It’s a comedy!!!
  • Want to walk out of town and just keep walking.
  • Want to listen to emotional tortured music as loud as I possibly can.


However I do all these things and I know it will pass when the moon is full.

As Aldous Huxley said:


“We cannot reason ourselves out of our basic irrationality, All we can do is learn the art of being irrational in a reasonable way”

(from Island 1962 pg201)

No comments: